Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Wisdom Teeth

Answer to Mystery Diagnosis #3:

Toxic Shock Syndrome

Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) is a toxin-mediated acute life-threatening illness that is caused by the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus or Streptococcus pyogenes.  





TSS was first discovered in 1978 and was originally liked to the use of tampons.  However, 50% of TSS cases are not associated with tampon use.  Other cases of TSS can include the bacterium invading areas of injured skin (such as cuts and scrapes), burns, and surgical sites.   


Signs and Symptoms:
·         High fever
·         Rash that resembles a sun burn
·         Desquamation (skin peeling)
·         Hypotension
·         Multi-organ failure (involving 3 or more organ systems)
·         Myalgia (muscle pain)
·         Vomiting
·         Diarrhea
·         Headache

To detect TSS:
·         Blood cultures may be positive for Staphylococcus aureus or Streptococcus pyogenes growth
·         Usually diagnosed based on signs and symptoms

Treatment
·         Antibiotics
·         Dialysis (if kidney problems occur)
·         Fluids intravenously
·         Blood pressure medications
·         Removal of foreign materials (such as tampons or nasal packing)
·         Site of infection will be drained

TSS is a rare; however, it can fatal in up to 50% of cases.  In order to prevent TSS; wash your hands often, use a clean bandage for skin wounds, avoid tampons or change tampons frequently.   



My cousin obtained TSS by the bacteria Streptococcus pyogenesStreptococcus pyogenes is the strain of bacteria that causes strep throat.  My cousin was not aware that she was sick with strep throat when she had her wisdom teeth removed.  During her surgery, the S.pyogenes bacteria traveled into her surgical sites in her mouth and then infected her blood stream.  And that is how she became infected with TSS. 






References:

Larissa, Hirsch. "Toxic Shock Syndrome." KidsHealth - the Web's Most Visited Site about Children's Health. Jan. 2011. Web.17 Oct. 2011.  <http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/toxic_shock.html>.

"Toxic Shock Syndrome - PubMed Health." PubMed Health. 11 Sept. 2010. Web.17 Oct. 2011.                 <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001676/>.

Venkataraman, Ramesh, and Michael R. Pinsky. "Toxic Shock Syndrome." Medscape. 16 July 2010. Web. 17 Oct. 2011. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/169177- overview>.

4 comments:

  1. Hallie, I enjoy reading your blogs they are both informative and interesting. I like how you use the elements of blogger with bullets and other features I may have to try that with my blog. The mystery keeps people reading your blog every week to find out what the answer it. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum streptococcus, cool blog...great creativity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going through STAPHYLOCOCCUS? Doctor Uduehi is your best bet and I am a testimony to his great herbal cure. I suffered staphylococcus aureus for more than a year, and not too long ego I read about Dr. Uduehi’s recommendation online and after taking his medication all pains were gone. I ran 2 test and they both proof negative which means I am cured and free. Reach him through Email: uduehiherbalcare@gmail.com phone/WhatsaPP:+2347084878384

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have long felt a special connection with herbal medicine. First, it's natural, Charlie attended the same small college in Southern California - Claremont Men's College - although he dropped out of school to enroll in the Julliard School of Performing Arts in New York. York. Had he been to Claremont, he would have been senior the year I started there; I often thought that was the reason he was gone when he discovered that I had herpes. So, my life was lonely, all day, I could not stand the pain of the outbreak, and then Tasha introduced me to Dr. Itua who uses her herbal medicines to cure her two weeks of consumption. I place an order for him and he hands it to my post office, then I pick it up and use it for two weeks. All my wound is completely healed no more epidemic. I tell you honestly that this man is a great man, I trust him Herbal medicine so much that I share this to show my gratitude and also to let sick people know that there is hope with Dr. Itua. Herbal Phytotherapy.Dr Itua Contact Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. Whatsapp ... 2348149277967
    He cures.
    Herpes,
    Breast Cancer
    Brain Cancer
    CEREBRAL VASCULAR ACCIDENT.
    Hepatitis,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Tach Disease,Shingles,
    Lung Cancer
    H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
    HIV,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Cervical Cancer
    Colo-rectal Cancer
    Blood Cancer
    SYPHILIS.
    Diabetes
    Liver / Inflammatory kidney
    Epilepsy

    ReplyDelete